Re: [Debian-PowerMacs]Re: PM 7500 won't install s/w

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:19:47PM -0500, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
> on 14/02/2002 22:19, Chris Tillman at tillman@azstarnet.com wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 04:38:07PM -0500, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
> >> on 14/02/2002 04:49, Michael Schmitz at

> >> no CD burner.
> >
> > It would be very easy, if you have room on your disk, to initialize a
> > partition as ext2. Then mount both that partition and the HFS
> > partition in the installer environment (you'll need mount -t hfs for
> > the one) and use cp -R to copy everything to the linux partition.
>
> what do u mean by "installer environment"?

Well, assuming you don't have a working Linux system available to you,
before you get one installed, you have the installer itself which is a
mini-Linux system. If you switch to console 2 as described in the
install manual, or alternatively choose Execute a Shell from the
installer's main menu, you can execute some Linux commands.

> > Then, to remove the metadata, if you mounted the new partition at
> > /mnt and your top level folder is 'debian', use
> >
> > rm -r `find /mnt/debian/ -name '.resource'`
> > rm -r `find /mnt/debian/ -name '.finderinfo'`
> >
> > The hfs partition won't let you remove them in place, AFAIK. You have
> > to copy them first.
>
> whoa! neato! the drive is a 258 MB oldie tho, and it's already mostly filled
> :(. an excellent idea tho. thanx!

> i tried doing it from the outside (removing the invisible files, except for
> the DT files) - but obviously won't work, cuz i stil have the DB and DF
> desktop files there (which i think is the .finderinfo and .resource
> (CorrectMeIfI'mWrong)). i thot of formatting the thing as a PC disk, but
> there's no utils out there (AFAIK) that will do that on a mac.
>
> is this possible tho: mounting an HFS+ disk (1/2 of my startup drive is
> partitioned into 2) into linux, and then copy from there, and use the small
> drive as a temporary linux partition? or does it have to be on the same
> drive?

It doesn't have to be the same drive, but the problem is the installer
doesn't speak HFS+, just HFS. Maybe you should lay out what your
drives look like now, partitions you've created, where the free space
is, where the mirror is and how much space it takes, and I can get you
going. I'm having trouble visualizing.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |