Re: PowerMac 9600 video questions

On Mit, 2002-01-30 at 14:01, Eric Deveaud wrote:

> 	PowerMac 9600
> 	video card IMS Twin Turbo (IMS,tt128mb8A)
> 	booted with BootX
> 	kernel 2.4.18-pre7-ben0 with CONFIG_FB_IMSTT=y
> 	booted with BootX
>
> 1) when giving extra kernel argument video=imsttfb
> with or without "force video setting"
> the machine boots fine, but after the few first kernels messages
> the screen goes black.... I don't see any kernel boot messages, I have
> to type blinkly.. or ssh the machine in order to reboot

Anything from imsttfb in the kernel output? Maybe you have to tell it the
mode to use?

> I have to boot with video=ofonly in order to get the console screen.
>
> 2) setting XF86Config-4 to use
> Driver		"imstt"
> VideoRam 	8192    # the 9600/350 comes with 8Mb on card
>
> and startx gives me something like uper half screen with a kind of
> display the other (lower half) black.
> furthermore, the upper half part is cutted in 2 parts (left rigth)
> something like that
>

> 		+---------+---------+
> 	        |         |         |
> useable quarter |         |         |  like mirrored of the "useable
>         	|         |         |  quarter"
> 		+---------+---------+
> 	        |      Black        |

Is this the same for all depths?

> furthermore /var/log/XFree86.log tells me the following
> (--) imstt(0): probed videoram = 3072k

It would be interesting to know what imsttfb thinks about this. :)

I don't know the status of the imstt driver on powerpc; it could be
plain broken. You could also try the fbdev driver.