Re: Netscape with Woody install problems

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-1] Rogério Brito wrote:

> On Jan 20 2002, Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> > I was looking for Netscape for familiararity. Besides, I don't run
> > KDE or GNOME, and I thongt Konqueror and that other one mentioned in
> > another message, required one of those desktop managers. I may try
> > KDE; I may just try Konqueror w/o KDE; I may try GNOME again (this
> > time I'll RTFM); I may try that other WWW browser w/o GNOME. I just
> > *love* choices!
>
> 	In my humble opinion, I think that you should give Opera a
> 	try.  Even with its problems (no software is perfect after
> 	all), Opera is getting better quickly and it is the only
> 	graphical browser actually usable with a low amount of RAM.

As mentioned in my first post on this thread, I had some problems with
Opera, too. I'll expound:
1) no .deb for PPC (as you mentioned)
  -- I think Alien took care of this
2) Install went smoothly, but when I ran it, it complained about not
finding a dynamic C++ library (version 6.xxx, IIRC). I couldn't find
(using dselect) tha listed library.

I used Opera when I had Debian Potato installed. I really liked it. It had
a clean interface, and worked quick (I'm only using a PowerMac7500 with a
250MHz G3 card). I was sorely disappointed that it didn't work this time.
It also primarily uses the left button; this is good b/c I still use an
Apple One Button mouse (F11 and F12 are middle and right buttons).

> 	Hope this helps, Roger...

Thanks.

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation