Re: Errors in sid xserver-xfree86 configuration

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 12:23:50AM -0500, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> That's what I did, and it seems to work, but the instructions should say
> not to specify a bus ID if you don't have PCI video, such as for all the
> macs that just have video ram and no video chip.  This would otherwise
> be very confusing to owners of older macintoshes.  The wording
> specifically says the bus ID is required of all macintoshes, which is
> not correct.

Actually, it says it's required on all PowerPC machines.  I thought this
was because there is some small PowerPC-specific bug in the X server's
PCI handling code in XFree86 4.x, or at least our version of it.  To get
the X server working on SPARCs as well as we do we have applied a
massive "PCI domains" patch which isn't even going into XFree86 4.2.0.
I'm not really in a position to ask XFree86 to help debug this, since
I'm applying a patch that pounds all over their PCI code.

If someone knows what's really going on and how to better word this
template, please, please let me know.

I'm not sure, but I think you probably need the BusID unless you're
using the fbdev driver.

> I didn't want it to overwrite my config file, but it did, and
> importantly, it didn't save the old settings.

It did; it backed them up.

> When I upgraded xserver-xfree86, it came up with the configuration
> automatically.  I didn't ask it to.  The only question it asked was
> about the bus ID, which I hadn't seen when I configured it before, so I
> guess that's why it ran the config.  But instead of saving the other
> items from my configuration, or asking me to enter all the values again
> (resolution, driver, etc.), it just blew away all my old values.
>
> Seeing how a lot of people have a lot of trouble getting X to work at
> all, this isn't really desirable behaviour.

Indeed; the behavior you're think you're seeing, however, isn't actually
what's going on.  Read the new XF86Config-4 file (especially the top
part), the dexconf manpage, the Debian X FAQ, and/or dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 to learn more.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been