Re: hfsplus howto?

Bastien Nocera wrote:

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:54, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

Alan Pater wrote:

I am trying to read some files from the os X partition and found the
hfsplus package. But how to I use it?
I can type hpmount /dev/hda9 without an error, but then what? Where is
it mounted? In which folder?

Speaking of hfs(+), has anyone tried to make gnome-vfs or kioslave plugins for these utilities? That might effectively make these filesystems "transparent" for many users without having to modify the kernel. Any potential trouble spots?

If it seems like it might work, I'll add it to my todo list, and might get to it sometime in the next few months (at least the gnome-vfs part)... :-)

I thought of that as well (as I'm writing a Rio500 vfs module these
days). But wouldn't it be a much better idea to debug/add features to
the kernel hfs+ driver. It has the same level of features as the hfsplus
utils (ie. read-only). It's just crashing more.

You're absolutely right. I had thought there was some reason these were being kept in separate user-space utilities, but if the kernel hfs(+) fs does what it should, then we don't need them, except for old kernels, right?

So instead, on my todo list goes: investigate why user-space hfs(plus) utils exist, and as appropriate, either fix/modify their kernel implementations, or write (GNOME/KDE/efsd) vfs backends.

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>