Re: The broken fdisk

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 04:43 PM, Michael Schmitz wrote:
Then I got a blinking cursor for a long while, and after that the
computer restarted itself.

It shouldn't do that, obviously. What Mac model was this on? Kernel
version? I've had reports of mac-fdisk crashing the machine on writing the
partition table, I just haven't been able to reproduce them.

The kernel from http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-
powerpc/current/powermac/

The computer is an iBook dual usb, (500/66).

The hard drive seemed repartitioned, I checked with a Mac OS 9 boot
disk. (But, since I had no means of getting back to debbootstrap, I had
to reinstall mac OS, re-download the files (linux kernel, root.bin and
yaboot), make a new yaboot.conf and go at it again. Again I used the
fdisk from the cd (the mac-fdisk Chris Tillman pointed me to earlier),
and again the same result after the "w".

Why did you have to repeat the partitioning step?

I tried to use the method from http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html (the one for debian single-boot). After the computer crashed/rebooted, it couldn't boot normally since the disks were reformatted. I had to reinstall Mac OS in order to get to a state where I could put the linux kernel on the disk (so I could get to debbootstrap). To reinstall Mac OS, I had to reformat the disks with HFS. My poor disks... all this wear and tear must be bad.
Thanks,
Sue.