Re: No cache control on ppc??

> Okay, that was the intel world.
>
> I haven't found anything similar in powerpc kernels, so I assume there is
> nothing like this. Is that correct?
> If so, is that a hardware restriction?

The lack of MTRRs? I'd not call it a restriction; it's an architecture
specific feature that PowerPC lacks (though there may be other ways to
affect caching on PowerPC). These registers don't exist on PowerPC.

> Does the hardware do this automagically?

The kernel framebuffer driver (or some earlier setup code) will set video
memory to writethrough caching if it's a memory mapped framebuffer. In
case of PCI or AGP video cards it's a matter of setting up the video RAM
region properly. I'd assume the whole PCI range is non-cacheable anyway
(as should be on Intel) so the point may be moot.

	Michael