Re: mail user agents [was: Re: Woody Impressions]

On 28 Teveth 5762, raphaello-debianuser@altern.org wrote:

> At 3:48 -0800 21-05-2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
>>all your mail are belong to mutt ;-)
>>
>>apt-get install mutt
>>
>>try it you will like it.
>
> I tried, but it didn't go very far (no such packet).

Hmm...you could try setting up fetchmail to bring all your mail to
your system noninteractively, procmail to split it to the 10 mailboxes
you mention below, and then whatever client you like to read them.
Mutt does work well in the console.

> So, what is a good Mail User agent for reading mail, in console (vm
> ? mail ?).

Your mention of "vm" sounds like you've thought about running an
Emacs-based email client.  Running VM under Emacs or XEmacs will work
fairly well under console or X these days.  I'm a Gnus man myself but
it's an acquired taste; it's very different from other news readers,
since it tends to think of mailboxes like mail spools.  I get 200-400
emails a day from various lists, and I couldn't live without it, but
it takes some getting used to.

Note that with any of the Emacs-based email clients, you may need to
do a little extra work to cooperate with procmail.  But for
sophisticiated filtering procmail has no rivals.

> For X, I hesitate between Kmail and Balsa, on PPC .  For dimension :
> I have 7 emails, that receive all together about 100 daily mails to
> dispatch in 10 mailboxes.
>

> [OT, but as we are here : ]Can I read my mails either with an X or
> with a console agent, according to just my mood?

Sure.  Some clients are basically terminal clients and work in both
(mutt, Emacs-based mail, pine, elm, etc.), and some are X-only but not
picky about whether you switch to different email clients at different
times.  For example, mutt doesn't tend to muck around much with the
mail itself, so you could read it in mutt and still leave it
undisturbed to then look at it with Sylpheed or KMail or whatever.
--
Charles Sebold                                    28th of Teveth, 5762