gentle noise (was: (Offtopic) Humming on ibook2 audio port?)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> > Well, now that I've listened closely to my earphones while plugged to the
> > iBook, I've noticed a very high-pitched sound that occurs roughly every 2
> > seconds and lasts for about half a second. Any guess what that could be?
>
> I'm still working on the tumbler (aka TAS) driver.  I'll listen more
> closely to my headphones when I make the changes to support things other
> than the internal speakers (even those aren't filtered properly right now,
> FYI).

After a night of sleep and some more listening, I found out that these
sonds occur when there is acces to the hard disk drive.
I'm using ext3, therefore the regular peaks.
When I do something like "find / -type f|xargs cat >/dev/null", I get a
constantly chirping sound (still very high pitch and very low volume...)

I guess it's a hardware issue, but haven't tried with MacOS yet.
Maybe one could filter that out...

It's not that bad; I guess you only hear the sound on earphones because
the hard disk would be louder if you tried to listen to the speakers...

Btw: thanks for your tumbler work! It was really nice to watch more and
more of the sound features appear ;-)

Maybe you want to have a look at the suspend mode: When pmud puts the
machine to sleep while playing mp3s, I sometimes get strange noises when
it wakes up again. The only way to fix this is to unload/reload the sound
modules...

cheers,
	Siggi