Re: XF86Config-4 for PowerMac 7500?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Rogério Brito wrote:

> 	Does this mean that in depth 15 I'd get better grays than in
> 	depth 16? I thought that depth 16 was better than depth 15.

Well, standard depth 16 modes assign 5 bits to red, 6 bits to green, and 5
to blue. If you're doing prepress work or something, and need accurate
representation of colors, especially grays, the 5-5-5 weighting of 15bpp
will give more even grays than will 16bpp (they'll typically be off in the
green, because of the extra bit for green).

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN