Re: Installation of debian on RISC6000 IBM PPC

El lun, 07-01-2002 a las 05:40, Elizabeth Barham escribió:
> According to:
> <url:http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/linux/projects/ppc/43p_140notes.php>
>
> No distribution supports the 140. While we've been bringing up PowerPC
> Linux on this box we've been using SuSE 7.0 and that's what we
> recommend you try.
>
>     * SuSE 7.0

I guess this url refers to 7044-140 models.

I used the CD boot images from SuSE to boot a 7044-140. And
I installed SuSE, but all my machines has Debian (or in a
way to Debian). So, for better maintenance, we need Debian
on a RS6000.  7044 is CHRP64 and 7043 is CHRP (32bits) AFAIK.

The SuSE's boot images can be found on
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/boot/chrp_boot_image_7.0.iso
I installed SuSE just for see the RS/6000 working.  After
I took base's potato and uncompress in a directory (/target
in my case).  However a chroot doesn't work with this files
because gblic crashes.

The following step was take a glibc from woody (2.2 without
the memcpy problem that crashes in a CHRP64).  With alien
I converted into .tgz and then I uncompressed it on
/target.  Now, chroot works and I have Debian inside SuSE.
After that, just edit /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/apt/sources.list
and you can make a dist-upgrade to woody (or sid if
you want).  I hadn't had enough time to follow trying, but
Debian woody works in a RS/6000 7044-140.

The only problem that I had with apt-get dist-upgrade was the
configure of console (or base), AFAIR.  A mean, a "problem"
if you want a clean upgrade.

--
German Poo Caaman~o
mailto:gpoo@ubiobio.cl