Re: Voodoo3 3000 in a PM?

* Ron Farrer <rbf@farrer.net> [020105 19:10]:

> Hello,
>
> Going over the list archive as well as a few of the PPC sites, it looks
> like you can put a voodoo3 3000 in a PCI PM by changing the firmware on
> the video card. My question is, how does one do this? I've got a voodoo3
> 3000 that I'd like to put in a PM 9600, but I don't have a clue what to
> do.

I did this a while back on my 8500/120.  I havn't used it since, but it
does work.

Slot the card into a pci slot,
Run the firmware updater in macos for voodoo3

it will identify a card (hopefully) and then patch it.
You can then enable it with the monitors control panel.  Later you can
install apple's opengl drivers, and then 3dfx's voodoo glide and gl
drivers.  It worked for some games of mine, but largly didn't do much.

open firmware can use it by:
setenv output-device /bandit/3Dfx,Voodoo3

I never quite got netBSD on the machine like I intended, but apparently
it would work fine with X.

Oh, and when I heard that 3Dfx was bought, I panicked and downloaded all
the beta and non windows drivers that seemed current.
Since a 20 minute google trolling for the files came up with nothing
(even voodoofiles.com seemed to only have the voodoo4/5 mac drivers)
I now host those files here:
http://www.syntaxerr.org/~daniell/3dfx_drivers/
-Daniel