Re: OT : How best to prolong iBook battery longevity (not Debian specific)

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 10:40:22AM +1100, Tim Bateman wrote:

> Sorry this is slightly off topic but given recent discussions re iBook
> battery life I though this is worth asking here given the technical
> knowledge of the audience.
>
> What is the collected wisdom regarding prolonging the life of iBook
> batteries ? I've read elsewhere that it is best to keep the battery topped
> up and to not let it fall below 30 percent charge.  If the battery is
> rated for x number of recharge cycles, does this mean full cycles from
> flat to full, or does a "half" recharge cycle still count ?
>
> So should I keep the battery topped up or deep cycle recharge ?

In general for any battery, deep cycling will provide the longest
life.  For the iBook batteries, many have been found defective and
will start to be unable to supply enough power to run the machine
after reaching a 30, 50, or 80% charged state. That's probably why you
read that it should not be allowed to fall below a certain number;
many have found these batteries have a 'cliff' they fall off at some
point. If you have one of those batteries, probably nothing you do
will help extend the life :-) but as a workaround, the advice is to
get it charging before the cliff approaches.

Someone said perhaps Apple was willing to supply a new, improved
battery; I don't know the details.

|                  To HAVE, GIVE all TO all (ACIM)               |