Re: using a PCI S3 Trio64 in a pmac 9600

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:56:57AM +0100, Vinai Kopp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I still have a PCI S3 Trio64 card I would like to put to a use in my
> pmac 9600. My long-distance goal is having a multi-head setup with
> xinerama, the other card being the imstt 128 (see my other post a
> couple of minutes ago).
>
> The first problem I encounter is when compiling a kernel with S3
> support make complains:
>
> drivers/video/video.o(.text.init+0x24ac): In function `s3trio_init':
> : undefined reference to `pci_device_loc'
> drivers/video/video.o(.text.init+0x24ac): In function `s3trio_init':
> : relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 pci_device_loc
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>
> This is using the current benh source tree.
>
> Now I don't have a clue about card drivers, and I have no idea if this
> idea could work at all. Has anybody gotten a "non-mac" PCI graphic
> card to work in a ppc machine? If not, I would be curious what's the
> showstopper.

Well, the problem is the intialisation, and maybe endianess issues.
If the card is one we have info on how to initialize it, then it is ok
though. If we don't have info, it is still possible to use some kind of
x86 emulator to run the BIOS. I know some people fif do this.

If you want to help in this, you should maybe subscribe to the
linux-fbdev mailing list on sourceforge and ask there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther