Re: PowerMac 7500 with MAXpowrMP booting 2.4.20 in MP mode - some trouble

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:32:33PM -0500, simonraven@istop.com wrote:
> yeh, booting natively in linux is really cool. the 7500 is one of those
> that can. for some reason a lot pf ppl have problems with the beige G3s
> - they need quik too, but have obscure settings they need to boot from
> quik.

So I noticed. I've got quik mostly working now, but not for automatic
booting. I have to tell it manually where to look for the kernel.
(quik.conf doesn't seem to do anything at all - why is this?)

> did u try setting a vid mode in /etc/quik.conf?

Yes, I had to figure out how to do that right away. Even with BootX, if
I didn't add a mode string and append ',noaccel', the text would be all
messed up, to the point of unreadability. Oh well, OFFB works for now.
I'm not planning on running X on it, or doing a lot of console things
with it.

> setting boot-file doesn't work usually, not for me (a single CPU 604e
> 7500) anyway. boot-command is ok, and boot-device, too. boot-file is
> rarely if ever needed. check the nvramrc - does it have like two to 3
> pages of Forth code? then u have a patch in there - usually to sync
> video, disk (?), and OF properly (it has issues with the disk and OF syncing
> like the 7200 does, but on the 7500 can get an OF console on the box - no
> need for a serial cable). what u could do if u really want to have that
> boot-file arg. is zap OF (cmd-opt-O-F), but the video sync is going to
> be annoying - u have to hit and hold down cmd-ctrl-power a couple
> of times to get the OF console to show up properly.

You mean Cmd-Opt-P-R to zap the PRAM? Are you sure that Cmd-Ctrl-Power
enough times will get me an OF console? I have a small (<100 MB) OS 8.6
install that I was using to load Linux via BootX previously, but I'd
rather not mess with that if I don't have to.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net