Re: iBook2, Radeon 7500.

On Sam, 2002-11-30 at 17:48, David Röhr wrote:

> Currently running:
>
> G3 700Mhz
> 384 Mb RAM
> 12.1" Screen
> Radeon 7500 16Mb
>
> And Debian, Unstable.
>
> I'm having alot of problems with the radeon card. Been trying to get
> some answers from all the guides that can be found on the net, but it
> seems that that nobody is running the 7500 card.
>
> I'm trying to use the latest benh-kernel. (2.4.20-rc4-ben0). It seems
> that getting FB working in console is only working for "ofonly", when
> trying to use my radeonfb-driver the screen just goes blank at boot.
> Can't find any errors in dmesg, but something is making my screen turn
> blank.

Maybe the brightness range is reversed again, try playing with both
brightness keys.

> I got X working (some what fine), but only when using the radeon-drivers
> that followed the kernel. When using the dri-trunk-module, my screen
> lost all of its graphics.
>
> I do have the same error with both the dri-trunk-module and the
> radeon-driver that is following the kernel. The screen keeps flimmering.
> Don't know what I'm doing wrong here, as I've used my fbset-modelines.

(what do you mean by 'radeon driver that follows the kernel' ?)

The latest iBooks require very special driving to get a correct display.
Ben has pushed a hackish radeonfb fix very recently, but it's not
available via rsync yet because rsync.penguinppc.org is down. Wait for
it to come back up, or if you're desperate get Ben's tree via bitkeeper.

Once radeonfb works, X should work with Option "UseFBDev".