Re: beige g3 stopped responding (firmware problem?)

--- Chris Tillman <tillman@voicetrak.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:33:05PM -0800, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > The machine had macos8.1 installed on it.
> > I completely removed it to install linux, after which I found it
> can't
> > boot on it without bootx,
> > I moved things around and freed up a partition for mac os.
> > I tried to install it but it wouldn't install without erasing the
> whole
> > disk (is there a way around it?)
>
> You can install on a single partition, but Drive Setup won't let you
> initialize a single partition. If you already have the partition
> initialized wiht an HFS file system, it should mount on the Mac
> desktop
> and you should be able to install a system on that partition.
>
> > I then tried to write the disk utils floppy (or something like
> that) to
> > floppy and reboot, to see if it would enable partitioning the disk
> > without wiping it out first.
> > When I rebooted I got a white screen with a _ at the top left.
> > I tried command option p r but it did nothing.
> > I tried commad option o f and it booted into firmware (version
> 2.0f1)
> > I tried taking out the battery and unplugging it, same result.
> > I then tried chaging boot device to ide1/disk@0:0 to reboot from
> cd.
> > next time I just got the black screen on boot. It did make the
> starting
> > sound from the speaker and fired up the cdrom, but nothing else.
> > Any idea how to get around that?
>
> It sounds like you don't have a MacOS CD. Even if you were to get a
> floppy system to boot, you'd need an installation CD, or some way of
> accessing the installation software. Just copying the system software
> from the MacOS floppy is not likely to work.

Its definitly a mac os cd, it booted and wanted to start the
instelation, but I couldn't mount the disk so I tried to make the disk
tool floppy which ruined the firmware (I am guessing) somehow.

> > and is there a way to install mac os 8.1 without wiping the whole
> disk
> > in the process?
>
> Are you unable to boot your Linux installation? quik has been known
> to work on a beige G3, if installed on a scsi drive.

Its an ide drive, and I tried it and got can't access something 0:0
(probably couldn't find the boot file ot watever it was looking for).