beige g3 stopped responding (firmware problem?)

The machine had macos8.1 installed on it.
I completely removed it to install linux, after which I found it can't
boot on it without bootx,
I moved things around and freed up a partition for mac os.
I tried to install it but it wouldn't install without erasing the whole
disk (is there a way around it?)
I then tried to write the disk utils floppy (or something like that) to
floppy and reboot, to see if it would enable partitioning the disk
without wiping it out first.
When I rebooted I got a white screen with a _ at the top left.
I tried command option p r but it did nothing.
I tried commad option o f and it booted into firmware (version 2.0f1)
I tried taking out the battery and unplugging it, same result.
I then tried chaging boot device to ide1/disk@0:0 to reboot from cd.
next time I just got the black screen on boot. It did make the starting
sound from the speaker and fired up the cdrom, but nothing else.
Any idea how to get around that?
and is there a way to install mac os 8.1 without wiping the whole disk
in the process?

thanx