Re: DVD playback suspend and wake issue

I try to configure the dvd on my ibook2 600. I found a doc :
http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-9.html

but I don't know how to actvite raw device in the kernel 2.4.20 ...
I haven't seen it ?

To create the raw devices, just tye as root
MAKEDEV raw

Does anyone use it ?
Any advice for improving the dvd reading ?
I use vlc with which I have the better result.

Even using the raw devices, xine still isn't good enough. Ogle is OK, recompiling the debian package with gcc-3.2 improves it a bit, but I still get some lost frames.

I haven't tried vlc. I didn't succeed compiling mplayer, "missing codec error" when I try to read the DVD. Is vlc better than ogle ?

BTW, has anyone a clue why DVD playback is fine under MacOS ? Is there some kind of hardware mpeg decoder in the ati chip which isn't supported under GNU/Linux, or did they just do a great optimisation job ?

Marc Menem