Re: PowerMac 7300/200 + gtcd - CD = freeze

On  21 Nov, this message from Alexander Shumakovitch echoed through cyberspace:
> I'm a happy owner of a PowerMac 7300/200 happily running woody. But since I've
> switched to Gnome several weeks ago, I'm experiencing a strange problem while
> running gtcd (the CD-player from Gnome 1.4). As soon as there is no CD inside
> (if it's, say, ejected), everything is freezing. The mouse is still moving,
> but nothing else works (even Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and ping from another
> computer). Putting the CD back "thaws" everything again. Is it a known issue?

Yes, known issue (at least here). I first experienced it in MOL, where I
have the CD mapped into MacOS. MOL would hang on startup unless I load a
CD.

> What could be done to address it? On no other computer I have access to gtcd
> behaves in the same way.

This is most probably a bug in the MESH SCSI driver (You have your CD
drive on the MESH bus, don't you? You can find out with dmesg.). One
workaround (assuming the 53c94 driver doesn't suffer the same problem)
could be to plug the CD drive into the (slower) external SCSI bus, which
also has a motherbaord connector next to the MESH connector.

However, unless you install an additional SCSI cable, that would put
your SCSI disk also on the slower bus.

The final fix is obviously fixing the bug, but noone has taken the time
to do so yet (hint, hint :-).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |