Why is X suddenly ignoring my dvorak settings?

Just when I thought I got it all figure out, X 4.0.1
on my PowerMac 7500 threw me for a loop.  I just
upgraded to Debian Woody and I'm using the 2.2.20
kernel. I'm also using the new input layer, forgoing
the old ADB stuff.  This has greatly simplfied
keyboard issues that I have always had when it comes
to using dvorak. Now, I can just loadkeys the i386
dvorak keyboard in the console in its all cool.  Until
yesterday too, all I had to do to get dvorak to work
of X was to use this configuration in XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"dvorak"
EndSection

However, for some unknown reason, this setting no
longer works.  I get qwerty in gdm and in X.

If anyone has any ideas about how I can fix this
problem, I would greatly appreciate it

By the way, there could be one of two causes.
Immediately before this dvorak to qwerty keyboard
change, I added the following lines to
/etc/sysctl.conf to get 3 mouse button emulation on my
mac:
dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation=1
dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode=87
dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode=88

This worked great, but I noticed that X now used a
qwerty keyboard layout instead of dvorak.  Deducing
that the extra lines in /etc/systcl.conf was the cause
of my X problem, I removed them and rebooted my
machine, only to discover that I still had the X
keyboard qwerty layout.  Bizarre.

There could also be a different cause.  Despite
upgrading to Gnome 1.4 in woody, I now have a pretty
buggy desktop environment because it crashes alot,
totally freezes up, often, to the point where I can't
escape to a virtual console and kill it, but have to
reboot the machine.  Messing with the mouse button
emulation,  I experienced one of these crashes.  So
maybe this is my problem.

But I don't really know.  Let me know if you have any
ideas for fixing this problem. Or any explanation of
what is going on at least.

Many thanks,

W. Crowshaw