Re: useful links & one caveat: apt over ssh

At 4:07 pm -0800 31/10/02, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
howdy--
i would recomend using the newest kernel, Etsushi Kato's mach_kernel +
Debian 3.0 installer, to format a partition, and then install the base
system via CD or ftp. (i usually use the base install CD, and then upon
rebooting install the rest via ftp).

i am using a kernel that is one revision older than Estushi's latest, and
it seems to work fine: sound, net, video, and the like. the newest one
seems to have a few more ethernet drivers built-into it.
 > Save the file and exit
Hi Dylan

I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall woody on my 8100/80, as per your suggestion. I've tried both Etsushi Kato's mach_kernel + Debian 3.0 installer versions 2July2002 and 29Oct02 but neither get as far as the install screen. The 2July Version doesn't move beyond the MkLinux Boot screen; the 29October mac kernel will start booting, probe the video card, and then freeze on a blank grey screen.

The Mach Kernel that does work is Greg Ingram's mach kernel + debian potato installer available at:

http://www.symsys.com/~ingram/hardware/powermac/

I had a similar problem with Etsushi Kato's mach_kernel + debian potato installer back in the summer just as woody was promoted to stable. I used the ingram potato installer to install woody.

Any thoughts? There seems little point in re-installing woody if I can't upgrade the kernel. The current kernel (2.4.4) seems stable and although I haven't yet got X working properly, the major problem seems to be mouse related. I can at least see a Gnome desktop although it is slow like treacle ;-) Maybe that's to be expected on an 80 MHz machine.

X is not essential anyway as I'm using 8100/80 primarily to learn how to use the command line ;-)

Regards

Clive
--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited