Re: Low-latency/Preemptible/Compressed Cache

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 19:29, brett@kavi.com wrote:
> Does anybody know if the low latency and preemptible patches work with a
> benh rsync'd kernel?  Specifically, I was thinking of giving the
> kernel-patch-ck package a whirl which includes:
>   * 0(1) and batch scheduler
>   * Preemptible kernel
>   * Low-latency
>   * Compressed cache
>   * Andrea Arcangeli's VM addons
> Mostly all I care about are the preemptible and low-latency patches so I
> can mess around with Jack.

The preemptible kernel patch now supports PPC, but IME it tends to make
things worse, introducing pauses of the better part of a second. This is
a known PPC specific problem which may have been fixed in the latest
patches from
http://www.<CC>.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-kernel/v2.4/ though.

I've been using the low latency patch for quite a long time with good
results and no problems, the caveat is that it doesn't patch
arch/ppc/config.in yet so it's not actually used unless you add
CONFIG_LOLAT there.

In fact, /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/ck/ck12_2.4.19.patch.gz doesn't
patch it either, at least low latency and preemption won't be used
unless you change that.