Re: running debian on a mac laptop

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Rogério Brito wrote:

> On Nov 02 2002, Eric Deveaud wrote:
> > other fact to consider, is that iBook is much more robust than tiBook.
>
> 	I don't know about this.

see some news group related to Apple hardware, and you will find lots of
reports regarding combo problems, ethh/usb connectors problems (it's
really painfull to unplug the eth cable from the connector on the
tiBook.

> > but it's "only" a G3
>
> 	Yes, and this speaks huge volumes. See the archives for all my
> 	struggles trying to get DVD playing on my late 2001 iBook2
> 	(600MHz) under Linux.

I agree with this.

> 	The lack of vectorial instructions really makes a difference.
> 	OTOH, everything else works ok on this machine (besides it
> 	being dog slow). The battery life is nice, though.

it depends on the use you're planning to do with the machine. ;-)
for me the pismo 500 is much than enough.

> 	Oh, and do not even attempt to use MacOS X unless you have
> 	huge quantities of RAM (the iBook has a limit of "only" 640MB,
> 	which OS X is apparently able to fill quite quickly -- Linux's
> 	programs, OTOH, seem to use memory with a lot of parsimony).

I also use (dualboot) MacOSX from times to times, on my pismo with 384MB
ram, and I can tell it works. but it still slower than linux on the same box.

	Eric
--
 Alcotest> OUi, mais aussi pour la création des 2 autres ducon,
  Expliquez moi, pourquoi voulez vous créer deux autres ducon ?