Re: Frozen cursor after logout; CLI escape

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 12:53:30PM -0700, Marc Stergionis wrote:
> Two questions now that I've upgraded.
>
> Debian always goes to a graphic login. I've tried changing
> /etc/inittab to runlevel 3, 4 and 5 but have never gotten a text
> login. How do I?

Suppose you use gdm as graphical greater (similar options apply to kdm
or xdm or whatever).

Then it is enough to erase :

/etc/rc3.d/S99gdm

to have runlevel 3 not start the graphical login.

For more info :

/etc/init.d/ contains the launching script of a serie of
services/daemons/whatever, among them is gdm (or kdm, or xdm) which
launches/stops the graphical greater.

Each runlevel has a directory like /etc/rc3.d, in which symbolic links
to the scripts in /etc/init.d are found, with an order in which they
should be launched/stopped.

So erasing (or adding) a symlink in one of the rc3.d directory will
customize said runlevel.

There are also other more advanced ways of handling this, but i am not
familiar with them, maybe somone other can provide you info about it, or
you could search the various available packages for some providing this
kind of services.

But anyway, the above mentioned way should be enough for your purpose.

Friendly,

Sven Luther