Re: iBook2 screen resolutions

Mark Williams writes:

> On iBook2s, what screen resolutions are supported under Linux?
> I've only been able to get 1024x768 to work, specifically in X.
> It'd be nice to get tuxracer running...

Same here, except with a G4 Cube and the Apple Cinema Display.
Did you get to play with poorly documented kernel parameters too?
I had to add "ofonly" to install, then "video=aty128fb:vmode:22"
to get tolerably fast video after the install. I still get bits
of crud at the top of my screen when in X, and occasional bits of
overwritten text when I do "ls" on the console.

I sure do wish somebody would explain why this is necessary.
I could understand it on a post-VGA PC in the years before
the monitors would report back their specs, but now? On a Mac
with PCI/AGP and LCD hardware sold by Apple?

I'm looking for integer-scaled resolutions at all color depths,
obviously with the maximum refresh rate. Odd resolutions can
just be letterboxed in software; blurry video sucks. I'd like:

1600x1024 (got that)
800x512
533x341
400x256

An optional extra 64 pixels in the Y direction (hardware virtual
screen space) for the taskbar wouldn't hurt, but generally it's
best that the desktop resize as needed.

I'd have this fixed if I had time to be an expert at everything. :-(
To those of you who've picked "XFree86" as your area of expertise,
please have some pity on the rest of us.