Screen garbled - Was :Re: Kernel panic : VFS : unable to mount root fs

Hi again,

--- Chris Tillman <tillman@voicetrak.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:56:56AM -0700, Johan en
> Katrien Dewaele wrote:
> > Hi people,
> > I need your help/advice on this one : I'm a newbie
> in
> > this PPC-Linux thing.
> >
> > I acquired this old Mac PPC 4400/200

> > wants to mount root fs I get following error :
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> 03:40.
> > Rebooting in 180 seconds.
> >
> Thanks for applying all the wisdom available in the
> manual and so on
> before writing!

yes it's great. ;-)

> But with your current setup, it's apparent that it's
> only the file
> system it's having a problem with; BootX has
> suceessfully launched
> linux, and the partitions are correctly detected. So
> it seems unlikely
> another booting system will help that. One thing to
> try is to just run
> e2fsck /dev/hdb from within the installer shell.

e2fsck-ed the partition : checks out clean.

Changed strategy : put my Linux-disk on ide0 - and
redid install so I could go with quik.

Now I have another problem :
When boot-floppy boots I get a nice screenoutput with
the penguin on top : kernel detects following (dmesg
output) :

MacOs display is /bandit/ATY,264VT
Using unsupported 640x480 ATY,264VT at 81800480,
depth=8, pitch=640
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on
/bandit/ATY,264VT
etc...

When I reboot (during the install, after making
harddisk bootable) I get no(or garbled) screen-output.

I've tried different combinations of c -and vmode with
video=atyfb. With following combinations i get output
but it is scrolling fast/garbled and not usable. :
vmode:6,cmode:8
      5       8
     14       1

I can see through the "waves" that the installer tries
to continue the install.
Replaced atyfb with offb and ofonly : no go.

So : I guess I got some wrong parameters in the PRAM
and/or quik.conf.  What combination/frame buffer does
the boot-floppy use ? Can anybody shed a light ?

This is what I've put in PRAM with nvsetenv:

little-endian	false
real-mode	false
auto-boot	true
diag-switch	false
fcode-debug	false
oem-banner	false
oem-logo	false
use-nvramrc	false
real-base 	0xffffffff
real-size 	0x100000
virt-base 	0xffffffff
virt-size 	0x100000
load-base 	0x600000
pci-probe-list 	0xffffffff
screen-#columns	0x64
screen-#rows	0x28
selftest-#megs 	0x0
boot-device 	ata/ata-disk@0:0
boot-file   	 ata/ata-disk@0:2/vmlinux
video=atyfb:vmode:5,cmode:8
diag-device 	fd-diags
diag-file
input-device 	kbd
output-device 	/bandit/ATY,264VT
oem-banner
oem-logo
nvramrc
boot-command 	begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again

quik.conf:

default=Linux
timeout=100
root=/dev/hda2