Re: sound on pismo

Jean-Christophe Michel wrote:

I had to put something like this in /etc/devfsd.conf. You will probably
need it.. well if you are using devfs.

# sound
REGISTER sound/.* MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER sound/.* RMOLDCOMPAT
REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio rw-rw----

Otherwise you will have to make sure you /dev/dsp has the right
permissions, and problably /dev/mixer too etc.

I installed mp3blaster on my G4 power mac and it plays mp3's fine, alas
only through the internal speaker. Dmesg says I have:

PowerMac Tumbler DMA sound driver rev 016 installed
Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.07
Write will use 4 fragments of 32768 bytes as default

I think this has come up a number of times before so if someone could
point me in the general direction of how to turn off the internal speaker
and turn on the output so the mains speakers can play.

Thanks.

Fred

Hi all,

I cannot get sound working on my Pismo under Woody
with a benh kernel. Here are the config vars concerning sound:

CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_DMASOUND_PMAC=m
CONFIG_DMASOUND=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_ALI5455 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_BT878 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_FUSION is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4281 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ESSSOLO1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO3 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_FORTE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ICH is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_RME96XX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TVMIXER is not set

and the three modules are loaded under modconf.
With xmms I get 'Could'nt open audio'
and in Gnome's settings i hear nothing when I click on Play
for sounds events.
What should I check for ?