date is 1934 on reboot

When I reboot my PowerMac G4 450MHz machine, the date is set to 1934. I'm using ntpdate and ntp but the date does not seem to be reset. If I run ntpdate manually then it does get set. Why can't I get the correct date from ntp on startup ??

Is there a battery on the mother board to maintain the real time clock when the power is turned off. How can I tell if the battery is OK. Is it measurable with software ? If so, what packages do I need to install ???

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.