Re: /dev/dsp can't be opened

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 06:38:48PM -0400, Katsumi Matsumoto wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  I get the error even as root.  So audio group
> doesn't seem to be the problem.
>
> dmesg reveals that sound module is not loaded.  But I still get the same
> error after "insmod sound" and confirming with "lsmod" that sound.o is
> loaded.  I'm new at this and am pretty confused.

That's probably not the correct module to load. For most PowerMac
models, the correct driver would be dmasound_pmac. I think sound.o
is one of the generic modules, not a driver for a specific chip.
If you do "modprobe dmasound_pmac" it should load the driver for
your sound chip, as well as any generic modules it needs.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com