Re: PowerPC Problem

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 06:48:51PM +0200, Steve Langdon wrote:
> weeks later and I'm still completely stuck. Anyone out there know how this
> works.
>
> at the "Install Kernel and Modules step" the installer  just cant find the
> right folder / files containing the Linuk kernal
>
> If I select the option 'chose from a list' it doesnt even give me a list of
> possibilities. This probably means it cant find ANY file system on either
> CD-ROM drive OR my HFS partition. There are copies of the new-powerpc
> folder on both.

1) To check whether the installer can find the file system, execute a shell
or switch to virtual console 2, and use commands to mount the intended file
system and list the directories you have there containing the install files.

Note, that folder should not be named "new-powerpc" as you stated above.
It should be named "new-powermac".

> Has anybody else out there had to manually type in the location of the
> folder containing the kernel?
>
> If so, what did you type in?

If you type the complete path up to new-powermac starting with /instmnt/, it
should work. You can also use the [...] to navigate to it, and it will fill
the path in.

> Is it cos I'm using a German iMac ? (cant beleive it is)
>
> I'm on the point of giving up and donating my house and cute children to
> Bill Gates.

He probably wouldn't appreciate them like we would, so donate them to us instead.

> >This is in the Install Kernel and Modules step? The critical part is for
> >it to find a powermac or new-powermac folder, with drivers.tgz and
> >images-1.44 inside, and with rescue.bin inside images-1.44.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |