Re: Short battery life on Powerbook Prismo

On 16 Oct 2002 marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp wrote:
> A funny thing that does happen is that on my battery meter under
> gkrellm, I see the numbers go down, and they match the LEDs on the
> battery.  But the moment it hits around 50%, BLAM, goes to sleep...
> Any ideas about that?

I saw the same thing with the Li-Ion battery in my Vaio: it's fully charged
according to /proc/power/, it's decharging normally, and suddenly it's
completely empty.

In the beginning I had enough time left to shut down the Vaio, but now it just
turns off without any warning (time to install a journaling FS :-(. When I
first noticed, the battery life was still half of the normal life (1.5 hour,
yes, it's a very small slimline battery, the larger one does 4.5 hours), but
now I have barely time to walk from power socket to power socket (4 minutes).

I'm not alone with this problem, lots of colleagues suffer from it, too.
So far the good hopes and stories about the promising Li-Ion battery
technology...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds