Re: OT: Mysql problem

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:13:09PM -0500, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Shawn Dunn <sfalken@dumpsterdivers.net> writes:
> >
> > root@p-120:/usr/local/mysql# mysql -u root -p
> > Enter password:
> > ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
> > root@p-120:/usr/local/mysql#
>
> That is a connection refused error (111).

Yup, connection refused.  Is your mysqld running?

<snip>

> Anyway, after commenting out 'skip-networking' I could connect from a
> remote host.

This is almost certainly *not* what you want to do - mysqld has 2 ways
to connect to it, a local unix socket file (/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock)
or connecting through TCP/IP.  By commenting out 'skip-netowrking'
you've enabled the latter.   This allows connections from the outside
world, which is probably bad if your computer is connected to the internet.
-Brett