Re: newbie tiBook questions

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> As I said, you don't need a Modeline, in fact not even a Modes line in
> the display subsection.
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk/examples/XF86Config-4.radeon
> might work out of the box.
great! with this configuration i've been finally able to run xfree86 on my powerbook!!! i had to correct the keyboard settings, but it was non problem.

unfortunately it still have some glitches... starting or quitting xfree sometimes leaves the display somehow "scrambled". it has horizontal disturbs, much like a slightly out of sync TV. restarting X seems to correct the problem. this problem seems to appear at random, with no regular pattern. out of 10 start-quit cycles (20 switches) it happened a couple of times: the first time i started X and, after several restarts, on quitting it.

what could it be? any idea on how to solve the problem?
(the XFree86.0.log doesn't seem to contain specific errors, anyway i can put it online somewhere).

anyway thanks a lot to everybody.
Marcello

p.s. i'm not the "original" recipient of the mail, but i asked similar questions a few weeks ago. it would be really nice to collect all these suggestion in a straightforward "PowerBook How-To"... or something similar.