Re: newbie tiBook questions

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:32:29AM -0700, Jim McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Just got Debian woody up and running dual boot on my tiBook (DVI 667
> rev C, 1280x854, mobility radeon 7500).  I have read through the
> archives but still can't figure out exactly what I need to do to:

I have got the same two weeks ago. I will put a web page about my debian
config (I hope to do that tonight but can't promise).

> - get better power/thermal mgmt going - it runs extremely hot with the
> default kernel, hopefull this will help cool things off.

With the default woody kernel the laptop was very hot quickly (scary)
but everything seems fine since I have installed the last benh kernel.
For that I have used the default config (the one coming with the benh
source. I have since changed the ide-cd option from yes to module to be
able to use ide-scsi (I have not tried yet). I have also removed
radeon.o and r128.o to use the xfree stuff from michael (more below).

> - setup X properly so I can use windowmaker

I can send you my XConfig but can't help you with Windowmaker because I
am an happy gnome2 user (from debian/experimental).

> I'm not clear on which of Branden or Michael's XFree86 packages I
> should use (both?), whether they require that I replace my kernel
> first, whether I need to have sid installed to upgrade these thing
> properly, etc.

I have first installed X4.2 from branden but was not able do get
something working then I have installed the deb from michael and got a
good X config. I have since compiled from source the dri-trunk stuff
from michael (after removing readeon.o and r128.o from the kernel),
added the "pre-install radeon agpgart" line (check the friday archive)
and I have now accelerated 3D.

> I tried building benh's latest kernel, but am not familiar with many of
> the options, and am not clear on which gcc version I should be using
> (2.95.x?, can I use 3.2 instead?).  And the package available via
> apt-cache search seems old (2.4.18 circa 3/2002).  I have scene some
> kernel config files floating around, but many are for older revision
> tiBooks, and may not have the same settings.

Build your own as described above, and as a good debian user use the
kernel-package to do it (make-kpkg ...) (I will describe that on my
page).

> If anyone who has configured the same model tiBook could give me a more
> definitive list of steps to take (kernel first, which xfree to use,
> which modeline to use (can I copy the xfconfig examples directly?),
> etc) in getting things online, I would be grateful.  I know this comes
> up often, I just couldn't figure out the proper path to take here.

Hope this help, more are to come with the page I hope to publish
tonight.

The missing features currently for me are:
. suspend/resume (apparently there is a lack of doc from the supposedly
linux frendly ati)
. sound in mol with jaguar

Christophe