Re: serial print on PB G3

Philipp,

I changed the baud speed to 56700 but still no luck.  Any other thoughts?

Scott

From: Philipp Kaeser <furball@gubbe.ch>
To: s.bower@ieee.org
CC: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: serial print on PB G3
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:54:18 +0200

hello scott,

> I am trying to print to an Epson Color Stylus 740i via the printer/modem
> port.  I am running Debian 3.0, 2.4.18 kernel, on a PowerBook G3 233MHz
> (1998 vintage).  I have the entire CUPS system installed including the
> Ghostsript drivers.  I have also scoured many news group searchs (thank
> goodness for Google), tried many suggestions all to no avail.
>
> I have tried:
> $> echo -en "hello\f" >/dev/ttyS0
> and
> $> echo -en "hello\f" >/dev/tty00
>
> I have followed the simple set up instructions provided by CUPS and
> followed most of the info at < www.linuxprinting.com >. Below is a copy of
> stty:
>
> $>stty -a </dev/ttyS0
> speed 38400 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
[...]

chances are good that you need to set your serial line so that
it matches the speed your printer requires. (whatever that might
be, then).

the command would be something like:
$> stty 57600 crtscts </dev/ttyS1

for setting it to 57k6 speed. however, you may need to figure out
which speed your printer requires.

bye
Philipp