Re: kept back packages

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 04:10:41PM +0200, Fran?I wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a list of packages kept back (every time I issue an apt-get update this is recalled by apt-get).
>
> I have used aptitude to try to understand why these are kept back. They're all related to
> xfree 4.2.1.pre0 while I'm currently having a 4.1.0-17 runinng X environment.
>
> How could I upgrade the conflicting/missing packages to have these 18 packages been upgraded ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Here are some output :
> JoeBar:/home/fat# uname -a
> Linux JoeBar 2.2.20-pmac #1 Thu Mar 21 17:08:23 EST 2002 ppc unknown unknown GNU/Linux
>
> JoeBar:/home/fat# apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back
>   lbxproxy libdps1 libxaw6 libxaw7 proxymngr xbase-clients xfs xfwp xlibmesa3
>   xlibs xlibs-dev xnest xprt xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xterm xutils xvfb
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18  not upgraded.
> JoeBar:/home/fat#
>
> Then the list of kept back packages as represented by aptitude :
> --\ Upgradable Packages
>   --\ devel - Utilities and programs for software development
>     --\ main - The main Debian archive
> ih    xlibs-dev                                             4.1.0-17  4.2.1-0pre
>   --\ libs - Collections of software routines
>     --\ main - The main Debian archive
> ih    libdps1                                               4.1.0-17  4.2.1-0pre
> ih    libxaw6                                               4.1.0-17  4.2.1-0pre

This is a debian-user or maybe debian-x question. The 'h' indicates
the package was put on hold. If you change that with + in aptitude,
won't it take it off hold?

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |