Re: Alsa plays only wav files

--- Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> On Die, 2002-09-17 at 17:33, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> > You are right, that the problem is endiannes,
> because
> > I wanted to know what is going on, so I switched
> back
> > to ALSA and
> > modified the Alsa output plugin for xmms, so
> it
> > swaps
> > the endiannes of the data, which goes through it
> and
> > ----
> > the ogg/mp3 now plays very well, but wav causes
> the
> > noise.
> Oh dear, like that it probably gets swapped at
> twice in
> software...

I know. I just wanted to know if endiannes really is
the problem.

> > So there is only one question: which code should
> > modify
> > to swap the endiannes? Probably the input plugin
> for
> > ogg/mp3?
> > Or both input plugin for wav and alsa output
> plugin?
> > Or even alsa driver? Everything should work.
> >
> > I don't exactly understand which fault it is. If
> > understand
> > it well, than Alsa expects input in native
> endiannes.
> > So
> > on ppc, the alsa-xmms plugin must send the
> in
> > big-endian.
> > So the change has to be in ogg plugin. But I
> > know
> > which endiannes xmms expect its data. So maybe
> > changing ogg plugin
> > isn't the solution.
> Ideally, the input plugins would provide data in
> native endianness, and
> the other stages would simply pass it through. I
> don't know how many
> interfaces there are between input plugin and
> device, you'd have
> to make sure that it's labeled correctly at each
> them.

I know. But I thought that maybe you know where the
fault is. Because I don't like the idea to spend a
browsing xmms code just to know how many interfaces
there are.
If we know, that sometimes the endiannes is wrong,
not to ask it on Alsa and xmms lists? I think that
can be easily solved. They must know better where
exactly in the
code the swap has to be done.

Should I ask on Alsa and/or xmms list?

Do you Yahoo!?