Re: Alsa plays only wav files

--- Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> On Son, 2002-09-15 at 21:18, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> >
> > I have installed latest CVS ALSA drivers
> > on my PowerMac 7500/100 (snd-powermac), and aplay
> > functions well,
> > but xmms plays only wav files - using other input
> > plugin
> > (mp3, ogg) causes loud random noise. But these
> plugins
> > are probably ok, because when I use Disk Writer
> plugin
> > play some ogg/mp3 file and then play the resulting
> wav
> > file, it is all right.
>
> Have you tried dmasound_pmac?

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have tried it today,
it functions well using alsaplayer, aumix functions
too, but when starting xmms, it stops with an error:
snd_mixer_attach: No such file or directory. I started
it as a root.

$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
dmasound_pmac          47144   0
i2c-core               14776   0  [dmasound_pmac]
dmasound_core          13640   0  [dmasound_pmac]
soundcore               4968   3  [dmasound_core]
nfsd                   76880   8  (autoclean)
lockd                  53800   1  (autoclean) [nfsd]
sunrpc                 70996   1  (autoclean) [nfsd
lockd]
hfs                    85388   1  (autoclean)
unix                   18216  53  (autoclean)

But this is probably a xmms bug.

I use kernel 2.4.18-powerpc from woody.
Does it mean, that the bug is in the alsa drivers?
Or should I try to use some newer BenH's kernel?