module installation at system boot ?

Hey Folks,

What is the "cleanest" way to add kernel modules so they are loaded at
boot time ?  Up till now, most of my kernel option have been compiled
in as I don't have a lot of hardware, and everything was compiled into
my kernel.

I recently got a firewire disk and redid my kernel with all of the 1394
options compiled  as modules.  If I manually load the modules, it all
works fine.  The question is how do I update my modules listing so they
are recognized and loaded ?  I tried updating /etc/modules (in which I
put the names "ieee1394", "ohci1394" and "sbp2" [which are recognized
by insmod from the command line] ) and even adding a file with what I
thought were correct entries to /etc/modutils.  But neither try worked
at boot up ...

Thanks all

cheers
vinai