Re: Powerpc Newbie (linux oldie)

Hey Chris,

I'm going to first address your question about the kernel sources. You can go to www.ppckernel.org to get the latest powerpc specific kernels (binaries or source). Alternatively you should be able to do something like:

	apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.19-powerpc

And everything should be set up correctly (in theory).
I'm not sure about the one button dilemma. I'd recommend getting just a simple two button optical Logitech, you can pick them up for $20 or so at any computer store, and they work fine in powerpc linux.
	There are some iBook-linux specific sites on the 'net, look here:

http://www.ibooklinux.net/
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/03/29/ibook_linux.html
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html (this one is Debian specific)

I'm assuming you have yaboot installed? With yaboot there is no reason you have to have Mac OS (9 or X) installed at all, and it will dramatically cut the number of partitions if you wipe the hard drive completely and then just install Linux. You can make a journaled filesystem with the -j option in mke2fs. Should work regardless of the drive. You can also convert a normal ext2 filesystem to ext3 by creating a journal file. Go to this tutorial to see how:

http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/ext3-5.html

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Best Regards,
Robert MacGregor
http://drbobguy.freeshell.org