XF86 problem on G4 Ti

Recently installed Debian on a new G4 PowerBook. Have had trouble getting X to work.
I am using the 2.4.18-newpmac kernel and woody. My video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon
7500. In XF86Config I have designated the Driver as 'ati'. 'startx'  doesn't seem to recognize my card.
I have used lspci to verify the proper pci slot, but it still fails with:

	(WW) ATI: PCI/AGP Mach 64 in slot 0:16:0 could not be detected
	(EE) No devices detected.

Based on what I have seen on this list and on google, I'm guessing that it is time to
compile a new kernel. Any other ideas welcome.