starting apache is unreliable

I've had problems with apache all along and really want to fix it.
I have the regular woody apache deb installed but it doesn't always
start on boot and when I try to start it at /etc/init.d/apache it
appears to be starting and then the process dies a couple of seconds
later.

no errors show in the log nor on the command line:

linux:~# /etc/init.d/apache start
Starting web server: apache.
linux:~#

The only way I have found to get around it is reinstall the apache
deb. But even this doesn't seem like a sure way to 'fix' it.

Would appreciate some help!

Thanks
joss