Re: Stupid wireless questions

On 04 Sep 2002 11:03:49 +0200
Yves <yves@rougy.net> wrote:

> Yep, it works without any problems...
> Install the wireless-tools to set it up (with iwconfig), and you can use
> it.
>

> > 	2 - If one would purchase a PCMCIA card for a x86 notebook,
> > 	    which brands would be recommended, regarding the quality
> > 	    of support under Linux (and also availability)?
>
> I'm not an expert, but I think orinoco cards works fine and have an
> external antenna plug. It can be usefull...

A little problem for me: in order to make my ibook2 talk with a PC laptop
with an orinoco (silver) card, I had to change a private var (with iwpriv) :

The var is port3, and is set with :
iwprive $IFACE set_port3 1 (where IFACE is the name of the interface : eth0, eth1 ,...)
The value can be 0 or 1.

In order to work, the values must be the same on both machines.

Problem : on the PC laptop, the value can't be changed.
So I changed the value on the ibook, and now it rocks.

Anyone know the sense of this var ?

> > 	If it is, then a base station could be substituted with, say,
> > 	an old computer with another (cheap) wireless card, right?
>
> Yes, but I _think_ (not an expert though), you will have to flash the
> card. Instead you will have to be in "Ad-Hoc Mode" which one permit to
> clients to talk together without a base. But this mode doesn't support
> stats so no signal strength and so on... But I'm sure it's doable...

No need to flash the card, at least for me.

My config : ibook with airport, Pc laptop with orinoco silver, and
modulo the change of var (see above), it is ok.

	Pierre

P.S :If anyone succeed with a similar configuration with Mac OS X, please email-me