Re: Automatic power-on

On  31 Aug, this message from Ron Golan echoed through cyberspace:
> I've been wanting to do the same thing. I even tried installing MacOS
> on a spare partition, setting the correct setting from the Energy
> Saver control panel, testing that it does work in Mac OS but after
> rebooting with the Debian Woody installation floppies (I already have
> Debian installed on this machine), mounting / and running quik, the
> autoboot after power failure no longer works. This is on a Mac
> 7300. My test consists of pulling the power plug on a running system
> waiting for the disk to spin down and plugging the power back in again.

I tried to do the same thing on a B&W G3 under MacOS without success...
It would never auto-start, whatever I did.

> There is a very unusual double chime when rebooting after running quik
> from the Woody install floppies. Could there be any hardware
> resetting going on at that point that would again disable the mac
> server mode setting?

The double chime in that case _is_ some kind of resetting, but it is not
MacOS, but rather OF resetting something. If you look at OF's console,
it even prints something to the theme of 'RESETing to change
configuration...' while double-chiming.

However, I have no idea _what_ gets reset. It might well be that
server-mode is part of what gets reset... Anybody know a way to check
that setting from within Linux?

Cheers

PS for those interested in power-up settings, here is a link to pmacpow,
which sets the box to automatically boot up at some time time in the
future:

README:
ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/pub/users/toe/pmacpow-tool/README.pmacpow

Source:
ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/pub/users/toe/pmacpow-tool/pmacpow-tool-991021.tar.gz

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |