Re: key configuration and sound

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 01:28, matthew yee-king wrote:

> > 2) Does somebody know how to configure the sound card of a powerbook
> > (pismo in my case) ?
> >
> > playing /usr/share/sounds/startup2.wav
> >
> > give
> >
> > sox: Can't open output file 'dev/dsp': No such device
> >

> try the alsa drivers:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/
>
> i'm using them on my powerbook g4. they should work fine for your machine.
> once you've installed them, be aware theres a little bug where you have to adjust the
> mic boost level on the (alsa)mixer to unmute the audio.
>
> think they should be available through apt-get as well? but you might get the inferior
> 0.5 version of alsa in the stable distro. you really want the 0.9 version.

Or he could just run "modprobe dmasound_pmac" and add "dmasound_pmac" to
/etc/modules, so that the driver gets loaded at every startup.

That's much easier, and the DMA Sound OSS driver works just fine on a
Pismo. There's no need to go with ALSA, when there's a simpler solution
there.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera