gcc3

Hello!

I'm probably going to put debian on my laptop (i've recently been converted from redhat/ yellowdog loyalties).

just wondering if anyone knows much about gcc3 - for example, i've heard it can generated binaries optimised for altivec. if this is the case, would it be possible to build the whole OS using gcc3 and if you did this, would it run like lightning on a g4?

are there any plans to build a gcc3/ altivec g4 only distro/ debian port?

cheers

matthew