RE: Newbie apt-get question

At 1:35 PM -0700 7/30/02, deFreese, Barry wrote:
Wilhelm,

Thanks for the info on the kernel, still learning all this stuff!  2.2 seems
to be working fine.

XFree86 version number says 11 but the vendor release number says 3360.

Yeah, that's 3.3.6. Also, I get an XFree86 version number as the next line under vendor release number, but maybe that was added in 4.

I hesitate to ask the obvious, but have you logged out of your X session and logged back in since doing the upgrade?

Also, I'm running 4.1 but I have no /var/log/xfree86.log. Just my gdm logs and an old old xdm.log

And it looks like I am running xdm, not gdm so the log file I am looking at
should be correct.  Since you mentioned gnome, I might as well throw in
another question.  I have tried to pull down kde using "apt-get install kde"

That seems right. It should announce it's going to download a whole pile of packages when you do that.

What exactly is the dependency error you are getting?

-wilhelm