RE: Newbie apt-get question

At 1:09 PM -0700 7/30/02, deFreese, Barry wrote:
Thanks for the tip. /etc/debian_version does say 3.0 but the kernel is
2.2.19, is that correct?  I thought they were using 2.4 now??

kernel version is independent of distribution version. You can run Debian 3.0 on top of either a 2.2 or a 2.4 kernel. If your 2.2 kernel is supporting all your hardware, no need to mess with it.

Also, the dpkg output says xfree86-common 4.1.0-16 but I don't get a
xfree86.log.0 in /var/log and the xdm.log still shows 3.3.6.  Any clue
there?

Okay, try this: open a terminal window under X and run:

xdpyinfo | more

and look for the XFree86 version number.

Also, you might running gdm instead of xdm? Are you using the gnome desktop? Do:

ps ax | grep xdm

and

ps ax | grep gdm

If you are running gdm, your logs are in /var/log/gdm

            Wilhelm Fitzpatrick  |  When we speak of free
         http://www.3roses.com/  |  software we are referring
                rafial@well.com  |  to freedom not price.