Re: Newbie apt-get question

O.K. so I was running potato and last night I get a dist-upgrade.
Everything looks fine but everything still looks like it's running Potato.
What's the best way to verify?

Well, you can cat out /etc/debian_version. If you did update to stable, it should say 3.0.

Also, I did an apt-get upgrade for X and it looked like it pulled down
4.1.?? but my xdm.log still shows 3.3.6 still running, is there some way to
verify that also??

Did you log out of your X session and log back in after updating?

You can do something like

dpkg -l | grep xfree

to see what version is installed.

            Wilhelm Fitzpatrick  |  When we speak of free
         http://www.3roses.com/  |  software we are referring
                rafial@well.com  |  to freedom not price.